HVALF’s Process for Endorsements
- HVALF sends email invitations to candidates in elections in which HVALF has taken an interest
- Candidates may be considered if they fill out the HVALF’s on-line questionnaire, the link is included in the invitation email; no-one who does not fill out the questionnaire will be recommended or endorsed
- Everyone who fills out an HVALF questionnaire is invited to meet with the HVALF’s Committee on Political Education (COPE) for a short (15 minutes) interview
- The COPE discusses information gathered from the questionnaire, the interview and other sources, and makes recommendations to the full HVALF delegate body at its next monthly meeting
- The delegate body discusses the COPE’s recommendations and votes on each.
- In the case of federal and state candidates, delegate body votes take the form of recommendations to the MI AFL-CIO, which makes endorsements; in the case of local (i.e., city, township, and county) candidates, the HVALF make the endorsements.
For historical endorsements by the HVALF, see the pages linked under the Endorsements menu item above.